Sunday, July 5, 2009

The day I slept with the Utah Jazz


Once long ago, I was a successful business woman. A mover and shaker as it were. Part of my job was to attend tradeshows and national RV rallies. I had an informational booth and was once told I could sell ice to the Eskimos. Whether that was true or not I can’t judge, but I know I loved traveling to a different city every month. Getting to investigate and enjoy cities like Louisville, Knoxville, Houston, Del Mar, LA, San Francisco, Chicago and many more.

One of my favorite memories began at the San Antonio airport. I and two of my employees had gotten to the airport early one Sunday. We had checked in and decided to have breakfast before our flight. This particular Sunday happened to be Easter Sunday and accordingly the airport was pretty quiet.

I noticed when we entered the restaurant the tables were filled with happy talking travelers. Hmmmm they were all men. Adding the two guys I was traveling with to this roomful of males I was happily outnumbered, a girl has to find her fun where ever it presents itself right??

We ordered our food and had just finished when the call came to proceed to boarding. Everyone began to stir at once, grabbing carry-ons and settling bills. What I found most interesting was as the other guests in the restaurant, all those other fellows began standing up to leave…they just kept standing up!! They were all well over 6ft, some even 7ft. What the heck?! Then I saw the team jackets, it was the Utah Jazz basketball team, trainers and coaches. These guys were so funny; one of their support staff stood at the door and handed out their boarding passes as the team members walked by single file. It cracked me up, like little kids on a field trip. Being only 5’ 2” I felt like a Bonsai tree in a forest of Sequoias.

As we made our way to the plane it was clear we would be riding with the team. We had a short layover in Salt Lake and they were headed home.

The plane like the airport was pretty empty. In fact the only people on the plane were us and them. I found my way to my assigned seat and watched as all these long legged fellows found a row of seats to themselves, blankets, and a pillow. It was clear they had done this before, found a way to stretch those long legs. Gosh what would they of done if the plane had been full??

As everyone settled in I found myself sitting across the isle from a nice looking, dark haired, athlete. He was very sweet and said how anxious he was to get home and spend Easter with his kids.

Being Easter my isle companion had chocolate, which he politely shared. After a bit of small talk the plane got quieter and quieter. Many of the passengers snuggled down for a chance at a nap as we winged our way to Salt Lake.

An uneventful flight brought us to the time of cabin chimes and the standard announcement, “fasten your seatbelts, tray tables to the upright position. We are making our descent to the airport.”

All the noise woke up the dozing passengers including the cute young man across the isle. He woke up with a start and then a stretch of those long basketball legs. He looked over at me and said with a smile, “Gee I sure hope I didn’t snore or drool.” I said with a wink and smile as big as his, “Oh no you were quite the gentleman. But honestly I can’t wait to tell my friends I slept with the Utah Jazz!!”

I didn’t realize until later but the nice young man across the isle was none other than John Stockton. For years I would see the “Stockton to Malone” show when the Blazers played Utah and remember that Easter morning. Just a bunch of folks headed home from a work assignment, to family and friends. And I’d think with a wink and giggle; I really did sleep with the Utah Jazz! Like I said a girl finds her fun where she can.

Life was good back in the day…

2 comments: