Sunday, May 24, 2009

Growing into a grownup


As I watch my wonderful grandchildren mature and grow I think of how the pressures of this life will mold and affect who they will become as adults. Like a master pruner, clip a branch here, take a lot off this one, not so much on that one. All so the tree will grow and become all it can be. Everything must be balanced, otherwise in a strong storm branches will be broken, maybe it could even become uprooted and die. Take too much off and it might not have substance to survive.

But in life the trimming can be painful. I wonder if trees hurt when you prune them? I know sap immediately begins to run to the wound to cover it and begin the healing. Oh well, I guess that’s a question for the tree and god. What I do know is some pruning is necessary for the overall well being of the tree, and so it is for people.

Remember the days of free growing times? Unhampered, no boundaries, just enthusiasm at full throttle. At my age I know that kind of unbridled expansion cannot be sustained. It seems our strongest base comes from our most difficult times. The times when we were forced to expand our roots beyond that what we believed we could endure.

Oh how I wish I could keep those painful, but necessary lessons from my grandchildren, smooth their path. I want to say “I’ve walked the same road, I made those mistakes, dealt with that betrayal, caused that hurt. Listen to me, be careful, don’t choose that path it is a brutal dead-end.”

But that’s not reality, not the way it must be. Each one will face their challenges, create their own heaven, and live their own hell. I see them becoming the strong, compassionate, connected beings destiny intends them to be. Their parents and I can be a part of their base, the mulch and added nutrients need for healthy growth. As a gardener cannot grow their garden, we cannot grow for them. We will provide the healthy soil, fertilizer, water, add sunshine. They will face their own storms, their own strong winds, and ice, and they will thrive. Growing someday to be an elder, to replace the ones who have finished their time on this earth walk. They will become the new forest, the strong ones that nurture the new seedlings for generations to come. As it is and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment