Monday, May 4, 2009

What is sweet in your life?


I was asked the question “what is sweet in your life?” The time this excerpt was written was the Fall of ’96 but this story had its beginning September 19, 1991. The magical day I became a grandmother, more specifically a Nana. True sweetness entered my life in a way I could not ignore. Later, with the addition a 5 more grandchildren, I am filled with humble gratitude at the abundance and wonder of this space in time that is my life.

What is sweet about this? The continuation of life, the unbroken circle. I witnessed my first grandchild being born, generations stood in that sacred space with us. I had never seen a child being born, though I had given birth to two daughters of my own. As Tracy worked and labored we women held her firmly in our arms. Her mother and her mother-in-law, the treasure and value of the past, our combined blood was bringing forth a new being. We pushed when she pushed, played cheer leader as she rested before the next contraction. Women together with a common bond, my generation, my daughter’s, now her daughter. How many times had this scene been played out in that very birthing room? If not a birthing room, a cabin, a hut, a woman’s lodge?

With each minute dilatation the head further worked its way out. As an anti-climax the (male) Dr came into “assist” in the delivery. The work was dispatched quickly as men are want to do. Then a little weighing, charting, checking. But first a heartfelt cheer !!! It had happened, that beautiful baby girl had arrived. Shelby Dianne Todd was here! That wonderful repository of genes, traits, history and tradition. One day that amazing little girl will probably spend time in a similar delivery room. I hope that all the same attendees will be there rooting her on. The promise will be renewed yet again.

Was it that way when I was born? Were there women there cheering ? No I am sure that was a time when girls where looked at as more of a problem, not as a promise. A time that because we were daughters not sons, we brought conflicts and responsibilities, unrest that was not evident had we been boys. Life has changed in the years that comprise my lifetime. I’m hoping it will change even more. Change to a culture where babies will be nurtured, encouraged, and valued as the innately perfect beings they are no matter their gender. In that value, they will find joy and be able to express compassion and empathy for all living beings. Life will be sweeter still, as life is lived as the expression of the unique spark of being we all are. An amazing piece of the One.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to the Circle of Life! I am envious your wonderful experience of Nana-hood! I very much enjoy being a Mom vicariously through your loving relationship with your daughters and Grandchildren. Thank you!

    >^,,^<

    ReplyDelete